Sunday, September 14, 2008

Susheela - A solapuri dish for Snacks

After my marriage a I entered a joint family with my in-laws. Being a working woman and not being used to cooking, I joined my mother-in-law and sister-in-law in the kitchen as a learner. While exploring the Maharastrian cuisine with them, I came across a new way to serve Churmuras. Till they told me about this dish, I had only known that churmura is the main ingredient for chaats/bhels and similar items or sometimes used for making chivDa.

"Susheela" is a quick breakfast /snacks dish - a Maharashtrian recipie which is quite uncommon on the internet !
This recipie is passed on to me by my mother-in-law. This is basically a dish from her native place Solapur - Maharashtra. It can be served as breakfast or as afternoon snacks with tea.

I am also sending this entry for a Contest




Ingrdients :

Churmure - puffed poha 4 cups
Green Chilli -4/5
Turmeric powder
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tea spoon
Oil - 2 Table Spoons
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Hing -asafoetida - just little to sprinkle
Chopped Onions 1 big onion
Cilantro/coriander



The recipe is very similar to the Indian -Maharashtra snack PhodNiche pohe or more popularly known as Kande-Pohe..

Step 1 - Soak the Churmure in water and drain the water immediately. Leave them aside
Step 2 - Chop the Onions and green chillies.
Step 3 - Heat oil in a frying pan (Kadhai). Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add Onions turmeric powder, hing, curry leaves and green chillies, soaked and crushed chana dal, slight sugar.
Step 4 - Once the Onions are sauté, add soaked churmure and mix well. Let it steam for a minute and susheela is ready to go. Garnish with fresh cut cilantro and lemon juice.

Note : Roasted Peanuts can be replaced by Pandharpuri ChaNe (aka phutane in marathi) if you like.

Incase Churmure is new to you --> This is how they look :

5 comments:

amna said...

Thanks for the entry, Swati.

Ashwini said...

I tried this dish few days back, and it worked out great. I added some grated coconut at the end too.

Swati said...

Thanks Ashwini for visiting my blog.
I am glad you liked this recipe.

Unknown said...

thats a very nice dish for quick cooking and can be enriched with dry fruits and salads
]I tried it and for a change everybody liked it

Shanky said...

Hey Swati,
I am from Solapur too.. my grandma used to prepare this one. I loved it. its very good that you documented it.. keep up the good work
Long live Solapuri dishes.. :)